Write Wai PR & Copywriting Services
& Essex Hundred Publications
4th Annual Writing competition
in conjunction with Colchester Castle, The Wivenhoe bookshop and the
The competition will be open to Essex based 11 – 18 year olds and a super range of prizes to include a digital camera, an
annual pass to Colchester Castle, and a £50 book token from the Wivenhoe book shop will be up for grabs. Winning entries will also be given a tour of the Gazette’s newsroom.
Furthermore the three winning entries will be published in the Gazette subject to the editor’s approval.
The competition was officially launched at
Colchester Castle on Friday 8th September.
Entries can be submitted at anytime until the closing date, noon Friday 31st December 2017.
Winners will be announced in January 2018.
Further details including terms and conditions follow the poster.
So look out for our posters!
The small print with the rules and more.
WRITE WAI PR & COPYWRITING SERVICES AND ESSEX HUNDRED PUBLICATIONS
WRITING COMPETITION 2017, in conjunction with THE COLCHESTER GAZETTE, COLCHESTER CASTLE AND WIVENHOE BOOKSHOP
Are you aged 11 – 18 years and do you live or go to school in Essex? Do you enjoy writing and are interested in local history? Why not have a go at winning a super digital camera for yourself and £100 worth of books for your school by entering our competition? Second prize is a year’s pass for Colchester Castle for two people (plus a guided tour and a guide book) and the third prize winner will receive a book token for £50 to spend at Wivenhoe Bookshop.
For our 4th annual Writing Competition, WRITE WAI PR & COPYWRITING SERVICES has joined forces with
ESSEX HUNDRED PUBLICATIONS to come up with a really interesting project to hone your writing skills. Our competition is being sponsored by the Colchester Gazette, Colchester Castle and Wivenhoe Bookshop. Winning students will also be given a tour of the Gazette’s Newsroom and also have the amazing opportunity to join a Newsroom Conference where the editorial decisions are made and all three winning articles will be published in the Gazette, subject to the Editor’s final approval.
History is who we are and the local area is full fascinating stories. We want you to write a feature or news story, factual or fictional, about a local history subject; or perhaps you may want to investigate a local historical myth and present your own conclusions. The judges will rate stories based on the originality of the entry, the quality of the research and standard of English.
Write your article just as if you were writing it for The Gazette, about something that has inspired or amazed you or is newsworthy locally. Local history has a very broad reach and your passion for it must shine through in your writing. The article should be between 300 and 400 words long; it ought to contain quotations from relevant people, facts and figures if applicable and it can contain a photograph relevant to the subject matter. You must also include a short piece (100 words maximum) explaining why you chose your subject matter, how you researched the subject and drew your conclusions.
Your entry will be judged on 3 elements:
- The article itself and the way it inspires the judges.
- How well you explain the way you did your research.
- The quality and relevance of the additional material e.g. photo, facts, figures and quotations.
Award-winning copywriter and journalist, Sally Anderson-Wai, founder of WRITE WAI PR & COPYWRITING SERVICES, and
Andrew Summers, Managing Editor and contributing author to
ESSEX HUNDRED PUBLICATIONS, will be judging the entries. Sally has over 30 years experience working for local, national and international media (including the BBC) and marketing firms. For 10 years Andrew printed books, before moving on to selling books both here in the UK and internationally. Now he writes and publishes books.
The winning entries will be featured on WRITE WAI’s blog:-
Entries should be submitted by email to:-
in word format with a header 2017 Writing Competition Entry. The closing date is midday December 31st , 2017. There will be a first, second and third place winners and winners will be notified shortly after the closing date. All entries will be acknowledged by return e-mail.
Please include your full name, age and the name of the school that you attend. You will also need to confirm that you have your parent/guardian’s permission to enter the competition, be photographed for publicity shots and named in any publicity material.
All entries must be received no later than 12 noon GMT December 31st, 2017; however, WW and EHP reserve the right to change this should it be deemed necessary.
- Entrants must have been aged between 11 and 18 years of age (inclusive) on 1st September 2017 and live in Essex.
- Only one entry per person will be counted. All other entries will be made void after the first.
- The judges’ decision will be final.
- 1st prize is a Digital Camera (from WW and EHP), plus the winner’s school will receive £100 worth of selected books (courtesy of Essex Hundred Publications).
2nd prize is an annual pass from Colchester Castle for two people (including a guided tour of the castle and a guide book)
3rd prize of £50 worth of book tokens for redemption at the Wivenhoe Bookshop.
- Prizes must be taken as stated and no cash alternatives will be offered.
- The winners will be notified by email shortly after the deadline and invited to a prize-giving event in January or February at the Gazette Office.
- The winning entries will be published in the Write Wai’s and EHP’s e-Newsletter and websites. A press release will be issued giving the winners’ names and schools.
- The winner will be invited to attend a prize-giving event at which photographs will be taken for publicity purposes.
- Entries or part entries may be used by the competition organisers in social media campaigns to promote the competition. Students full names will not be used, only first names (unless otherwise agreed by parents/guardians and school attended).
- The winners details shall not be passed on to any third parties.
- No one related to, or connected with, anyone working at the Colchester Gazette, Colchester Castle, Wivenhoe Bookshop, Write Wai or EHP is permitted to enter this competition.
Thats about it! We look forward
to reading your entry.
AND check out our short video