Billericay is a town steeped in history. Although it was originally developed by the Romans, it was 1000 years later that the town came to prominence, when the remnants of the ‘Peasants’ army were hunted down by the King’s forces in nearby Norsey Wood.
Nearly 300 years later a contingent of local ‘Pilgrims’ including the governor of the ‘Mayflower’, Christopher Martin met in the High Street and made plans for their historic voyage. Billericay is perhaps unusual in Essex, in that many 16th and 17th century buildings still survive.
The book has been designed as a ‘tour’ starting at the railway station and criss-crossing the town whilst continually examining the lives of the people who used to live there.